Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Hooked

4 posters

Go down

Getting Hooked Empty Getting Hooked

Post  mmmcd Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:01 am

I went out on Saturday and had my first serious attempt at targeting Squid. I had a random lure that I had found years ago, and it seemed to be of very good quality....so that will do. My mate fished for squire while I cast (we were in a boat) toward the coral shallows. The sink rate of the jig was about a meter/5 seconds. So I cast and let it sink about a meter, a few quick jerks, and then let it sink again and then slowly wind for about 5 seconds, and repeated. Having never caught a squid I was amazed when clearly something had grabbed my lure and was pulling back hard! But then...nothing. This happened again, and then I eventually lost my best 'found' lure. So the obvious question I need to ask is: when I know there is something having a go at the lure, is there a technique to hooking up the squid?

To rub salt into my clear lack of any idea, my mate, the squire fisherman, then pulls a squid into the boat with his soft plastic!

Cheers everyone

Mick

mmmcd

Back to top Go down

Getting Hooked Empty Re: Getting Hooked

Post  Partizan Fk Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:54 am

haha good on you mate.The squid will lunge and not shake like a fish its a weird feeling if you haven't caught one before.You did everything correct you need to keep pressure on the line when retrieving the squid.Fish will go for your jig too mate ive caught some good flatty on my jig so keep at it.
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew T Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Mick

Not meaning to sound rude but did you have your knots done right? Otherwise maybe what Ned said
Good lick
Andrew T
Andrew T

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmcd Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks for the replies. Righto, I'll persevere with the same method and see what happens, - thanks for the tips Ned. When I said I lost the lure I didn't mean that I lost it in battle, I got it snagged....wish it was the former though. Its interesting about fish having a go at the lure - I can see how they would be very tempting for a Flathead, which I am quite partial to also!

Cheers everyone

mmmcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:32 am

Hi Mick,

Yip sounds like you are using a good technique in the right location.

I will suggest a couple of things tho (some touched on by others). When I started this it was going to be short but I thought I would just write it all out as I plan on putting it on facebook.

1. Check the water depth versus sink rate. When you reach a spot actually put the jig in the water where you can see the bottom and count out how long it takes to reach the bottom. Then subtract a couple of seconds and count it out each cast.

2. Cast the jig in the direction you are drifting. This allows the jig to freely fall without pressure on the line. Jigs are designed to sink at very particular angles and if there is pressure on the line it won't work as well.

3. Use a vigorous retrieval. When squidding from a boat the water depth generally does not change along the drift so the only way the jig is going to move up the water column is by the retrieve so get stuck into it. 3 to 5 fast lifts with a wind of the reel handle to pull up the slack line between jigs then a pause that is long enough to just not let the jig touch the bottom before repeating. This fast darting jig action gets the squid excited and attracts attention it also makes the squid grab it quickly before it thinks the prey will dart away.

4. Keep a very sharp lookout for squid as they will often follow the jig and if you aren't paying attention you will miss them by pulling the jig out of the water too early. I often stand on the transom when squidding from a boat as it helps to spot them from high.

5. If you get a squid or some interest in the jig cast it back into the same area as fast as you can. Often there is more than one squid in small schools and you will pick up another one or two if you're quick.

6. Make sure you strike. When a squid grabs the jig they pull it into their beak to kill the prey. This results in a jig that the squid is holding perpendicular to the head none of the barbs are in the squid but the tentacles are wrapped around the rig. When you strike the jig is pulled straight and twists around and hopefully the prongs set at the base of a tentacle/s. If you get a good hookup then you won't lose it on the retrieve. This was something that took me a long time to get right.

7. Maintain steady pressure. If there is no tension on the jig you will lose the squid as there are no barbs. If you pull it in too hard you can tear the jig out. Often the squid will be facing toward you when you feel pressure and then strike. If you don't wind like crazy they will come straight at the boat and slack line you which can result in a lost squid. Usually a few fast winds turns them around the right way and you can then steadily retrieve them. You also want firm but not excessive drag pressure, if you are using a dedicated egi rod then the drag can be higher as the rod will absorb more of the lunges. A big squid should be taking line off your reel. Don't panic as they stay up in the water column and there is no risk of losing them (this doesn't apply in mangroves!).

Hope that helps,

Robbie

Robbie
Robbie
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmcd Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 am

Gee, that's really comprehensive Robbie, so much detail. Thanks very much. I'll put it into practice this time next week - off to Hervey Bay for a few days so while everyone else is busy looking for tailor I'll be looking for rocks and weed!

BTW I bought 5 yo zuri auri jigs: 2.5 and 3.0's, from Fish-on-Pro and it was a smooth process on line and they arrived just over a week later, so I can recommend the service. Its probably just as well they didn't get here before last weekend because I probably would have lost more than one without the above advice!

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers!

mmmcd

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmcd Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 pm

A quick report on the trip to Hervey Bay. Well I still have zero squid to my name. I went to a spot right up near Rooney's Point where I have seen people squiding. Its coffee rock and weed. But the water was quite turbid with low visibility. I persevered for a couple of hours and didn't get a sniff other than a few hits by what looked like small trevally. At least they liked what I was doing. The initiation process continues....but everyday that goes by is one day closer!

Cheers

mmmcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum