shy and timid ika

View previous topic View next topic Go down

shy and timid ika

Post  andy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:59 am

does anyone have any tips on tempting shy squid?? was down at manly and there were a few there but as soon as they see your shadow they start backing off and they smartened up. i was making long cast using all sizes of egis from 1.8-3.5 and couldnt tempt them again
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: shy and timid ika

Post  Jeryl on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:09 am

yea mate of course, always seeing squid that chases up your egi right to the shore but refused to take it, pretty frustrated hahh here's just a few tips based on my experience of MAYBE dealing with it Laughing

1: Downsizing - i always start with size 3.5 but if i see it comes close, showing its interested but timid, i'd downsize it to 3.0 or even 2.5 and that work sometimes.

2: Changing colours: switch from bright colour (pink or orange) to darker or natural colour (green or blue) that might help to put their guard down and eventually take the egi.

3: Applying scent: i found a very new research says that squid not only have the best eyesight in the sea also they can sense scent like fish, and at the few recent eging trips i applied the new scent developed by japan daiwa emeraldas (the shrimp scent) and i found that it helps when the bite slows down, the next thing i'm going to try is the new gulp alive spray in claw fish scent which i believe it is similar to the taste of shrimp Razz i'll get back to you when i have the result Cool

Daiwa emeraldas scents: left - shrimp, right - fish

4: Awabi sheet (abalone sheet) : This might be new to our aussie eginger but its very popular in Japan and Hk eging field, it is a piece of abalone colour sticker that you apply on your egi, shapes and colours are various but the main idea is to make the egi more appealling than the others. just an example here:

hope these info helps. Cheers Very Happy
Jeryl

Back to top Go down

Post  hon-su on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm

yes... all of the above....as well as sinking it deeper so they think its dead.
I find changing to a darker colour helps as well.
hon-su

http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:45 am

With shy squid I always use the smallest jig in my box (1.5-2) in a natural colour (brown is my favourite in this situation) and use a slow jerk retrieve, they usually go from shy to aggressive in an instant. Also don't use glow lights(if you are using them that is), imo they spook the squid half the time, overall you will have better catch rate without them. When you cast try to do it with as little movement as possible, and cast the lure so it lands gently on the water.

Cheers,
Al
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  andy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 am

some good tips here. as a rule i never use glow sticks, but i do have glow type egis, and i also have a uv torch that can set off the uv material. as for that time i experience the shy squid it was around 9am in the morning. they just werent interested in any of my jigs
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Hugill on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 am

I too agree with you all, IMO scent really gets the timid squid fired up. Last year me, Honsu and another bloke went out to a few spots which you can always catch squid. We took 2 hours between the 3 of us to land something so we moved to another spot, again which always produces, and not a lot happening. We used some scent and we started reeling them it! Very Happy
Peter Hugill

http://www.fishonproshop.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 am

where can you get this scent spray from????
about the only thing I can add to the shy squid thread is the dead egi moove , let it sink to the bottom and then twich and tweek your jig to see what hits thier G spot but this works only in shallow water where you can watch your jig. I use this method a lot on the fussy buggers when the water clears right up because I think they can see you just as good as we can see them.
and a big NO NO is dont let your shadow pass over them...otherwise..GONE!!
some days down there you may as well throw rocks at the buggers cause the jigs aint gonna work.
Paul...mug
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Hugill on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 am

Paul,

We sell the Hayabusa scent sticks which work well.

http://www.fishonproshop.com.au/fishonproshop/SelectCat.do?catId=35&prodsFound=12&category=Accessories

Alternatively you can go to a tackle shop and get a spray called chum line or dip it in tuna oil. The only disadvantage of this is at the end of the day your jig is very oily and stinky. The scent pens are very smelly and don't leave such an oily disgusting mess.

Cheers,

Pete
Peter Hugill

http://www.fishonproshop.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 am

Yep I'm all for scents, I use Egimax which is an ecogear product, it comes in a can which is good as you spray on as much as you want. It also comes in a glow spay scent. The only downfall of this product is the price, around $30 a can. I haven't really worked out how long it lasts me, but it's been a fair while since I got a new one, I'll try and keep track next time I get some. But at the end of the night you can still smell it on the Egi.

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Shy Squide

Post  pedro on Thu May 20, 2010 3:02 am

G`Day Andy ,

Try rubbing a wa pillie or fish on your lure , or i use chook pellets ( laying feed ) cheap , spread it out as though you are feeding the chooks , works every time mate !

still fishin , pedro

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum