Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can your one vote count?

+3
Mick
Dale
Janelle
7 posters

Go down

Can your one vote count? Empty Can your one vote count?

Post  Janelle Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:11 pm

There are many issues that affect how people will vote in this election. Extensive Marine Park Closures and Fishing Bans are on the Labor/Green agenda and if we fish we must realize the threat is real.
Who to vote for in this election is a very tough call. I was just listening to the news and they said that unlike past elections this one doesn't have one major issue that is a deal breaker between each party - eg GST or Workchoices. Instead they said it appears most people will be voting on how one particular issue that they are individually interested in is handled by a particular party. In my case Fishing is that issue. (yes I know health, schooling etc are important but I find it hard to separate the parties greatly on many of those topics).

But does your one vote really matter? Can it save us from being banned from fishing? The reality is in our electorate fishing can be the deciding factor as to who holds the seat. Last election our seat was won by 63 votes after preferences. There are people I know who normally vote Labor who voted Liberal in that election because of fishing. That decision made a difference.
Primary Votes
LIB 37,886
ALP 36,207
Green 4475

After Preferences
LIB 41,073
ALP 41,009

The Liberal candidate in our area actively campaigns on fishing issues. He funds fishing public meetings etc. He was very active also at the state level when the green zones were being introduced here. Obviously not only is my way of life (taking my kids fishing etc) at risk but so is my direct livelihood and that of the guys we employ, their families, our suppliers, their families etc. Fishing does have a big economic input in our region and without it not only are we affected but so is every business that I then in turn spend my income with. Some of the small towns that rely on fishing and fishing related tourism will be devasted by fishing bans. Places like the Montebellos, Lord Howe, the Coral Sea and other iconic fishing areas are under threat. You will not be allowed to fish there if the proposed zones go ahead under Labor.

All I can say is think about what is really important to you and vote accordingly. I am sure those in the mining and fishing industries will tell you that any deal that Labor did to shore up the green preferences will come back to bite us. Nothing comes for free.
I am not against green zones but do object to them being implemented without proper consultation or with the decision already made before the consultation phase starts.

A big reason that green zones are so popular to pollies is they don't have to do the science, pay for research etc. Locking down an area is the cheap option.
The greens are going to get lots of votes because people don’t want to vote Labor or Liberal. The Liberals have said they will review the proposed roll out of green zones. Sure you can’t trust a politician but that has to better than Labor who is supporting the zones and the Greens who want to ban all fishing.
I know some of you will want to vote Labor for other reasons but please when you vote make sure the Greens go last – tell your family and your friends. A protest vote to the Greens is playing into their hands and is a vote against fishing. Political analysts in this election are saying the greens will be the real winners. If you would like to vote Labor but not support The Greens, you will need to vote below the line on the Senate paper and number EVERY box. To best represent your fishing interests you would also need to ENSURE that The Greens are last in your numerical order (ie. they have the highest number).

This is your chance to make a difference. Every vote does count and if 10 or 20 or in the case of the Bowman electorate 63 of you vote for fishing then we can make a difference.
Vote on Saturday and when you do make sure you make it count for the issues that are really important to you.

Last edited by Janelle on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Janelle

Back to top Go down

Can your one vote count? Empty Re: Can your one vote count?

Post  Dale Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I hate talking politics with friends, but the one really important issue in this election for fishing people like ourselves, whether you vote Liberal or Labour, is to put Greens last. Fill out the bottom of your voting slip and put the highest number in the Greens square. I totally agree with Janelle that your one little vote does count. Please don't waste it.
Dale
Dale

http://www.baialodge.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Likewise here too Dale,I abhor talking politics amongst friends.
But the green party,and the interest from the public they have drummed up for themselves,is a concern for me.
Middle men in any form hold so very much power,and with the preference deals secured with the ALP,the greens will be the one party that will hold the power to legislate through the senate.
If the ALP is re-elected saturday that is.
Two concerns-TAX TAX and more TAX,proposed by Dr.Brown the other day on ABC radio..It came through loud and clear through all of his rhetoric.
Secondly,I would like to hear one journalist ask "if the proposed green zones are established,when will they again be open to anglers?"
If they are so insistant on closing,don't you thunk one of these bright sparks would have the gumption to ask when they will be re-opend??
Thank you Janelle for highlighting your beforementioned points.
I will not tell anybody whom or what to vote for though.Voting is one of the very few personal decisions that an individual still has to make for themselves.
Very few of these choices remain in this tightly ruled/regulated/legislated world we inhabit today.
Mick
Mick

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Janelle Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Guys I too normally never talk politics but this election is very important for everyone who fishes. Greens holding the balance of power in the senate is a real possiblility and if that is the case kiss fishing goodbye as we know it.

I have been thinking over and over whether to say something but if I don't I can hardly sit back and complain later if they ban fishing.

Janelle

Janelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Mick wrote:
I will not tell anybody whom or what to vote for though.Voting is one of the very few personal decisions that an individual still has to make for themselves.
Very few of these choices remain in this tightly ruled/regulated/legislated world we inhabit today.

I agree with you there Mick, although i try to stay quiet about these sorts of things, Don't throw your vote away Like Janelle and Dale said it counts, afore mentioned each party has their policies and choose carefully because these people 'WILL' affect your lives you dont have to delve too deeply to find things in each agenda that will affect you "Greens in power" is a scary thought for anyone who enjoys anything to do with the ocean this year is a big possibility they will have the deciding preferences. Vote how you wish, But dont throw it away

sorry for the lecture

Les
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 am

Can your one vote count? Recfish_Matrix-4
Dale
Dale

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Janelle wrote:Guys I too normally never talk politics but this election is very important for everyone who fishes. Greens holding the balance of power in the senate is a real possiblility and if that is the case kiss fishing goodbye as we know it.

I have been thinking over and over whether to say something but if I don't I can hardly sit back and complain later if they ban fishing.

Janelle

That is very true Janelle,from a personal and business point of view.
I am glad we are all big enough to offer different points of view on this forum without fear of backlash or nastiness which plagues some other sites.
I guess the smaller member base and the comps may have something to do with it.
The people here regularly make face to face contact with each other,which I believe is the makings of a tight knit crew.

Anyway,now you should have all cast your vote.Which way do you think it will go?
ALP outright,hung parliament?LNP outright?or **SHUDDER**Dr.Brown and co.??
Mick
Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Janelle Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Andrew Laming - who is the sitting Liberal in the seat of Bowman was just on the TV saying the fishing vote helped him. He is showing a strong swing at the moment and at this early stage looks like he will hold his seat. Goes to show it pays to listen to your electorate (and as his is right on the bay it is obvious fishing is an issue here).

Janelle

Janelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Great news.
We here in Bowman were the most marginal seat in the country-I believe he held it by only 15 votes.
Mick
Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Tristan Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm

i just read this and you hit the nail on the head Jannelle. I did proudly number greens last on the weekend.
Tristan
Tristan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm

I did hear today that the only people happy with a hung parliament are the Sex Party.
Dale
Dale

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Dale, don't you mean a "well hung" Parliament??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

SD

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  GRAHAME Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Wink Smile Laughing Razz Twisted Evil cheers lol!
haha ..... nice one
GRAHAME
GRAHAME

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down