Fly fishing for Squid.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fly fishing for Squid.

Post  bobthornton on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,
I read an article recently about fly fishing for Squid down south, but surely this must work for Tigers aswell. I love fishing fly for other species like bass and flathead, but always had this idea of squid in the back of my mind. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you tie your flies? Any help would be great.
Bob.
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Re: Fly fishing for Squid.

Post  splashy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Bob
I've just joined as well - and intend to follow-up using egi with fly gear.
I'd go a Pink Think as suggested, or just about any neutral baitfish fly pattern that you think will work....and then go from there. I was thinking of getting a couple of double-hooks, binding them together, and using that as a basis for some sort of profile fly with a bit of a pulse.....
...another fly that just came to mind is a Fat Boy. You can make those with with foam in them, rattles, add weight, or tie them as they are. Silicon head makes them pretty robust too....
Just go chucking and see what happens.
I'll get down and give it a go, and let you know what happens...
Cheers cheers

splashy

Back to top Go down

Post  scifly on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:06 am

Just to stir - wondering which end of the line, the tool is attached to! Seriously, I am a fly angler too and we actually ran a story on squid on fly when I was editing a magazine. I will scan the article and post - I think there is a tying sequence. Technique is very important as you need to allow for the squid to turn to get a good hookup. I know I battled for ages and got lots of missed hook ups.

scifly

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyW on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Years ago after watching one squid harrass my clouser pattern repeatedly I went home and got out some size 8 hooks and a little mono line. I basically snooded two runs of four hooks closely together and tied them to the eye of the fly. I set one line each side of the fly body extending about 3/4 of the way from the eye to the tail, gently burying the line of hooks into the body.
The next opportunity saw me land 3 squid in succession before a hungry flathead inhaled the lure and nipped me off.
Basically any clouser pattern or deceiver pattern will do, just add a string or two of very light hooks down each side. I used size 8 suicide chrome hooks (probably resembled scales i guess).
TonyW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top