Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to go Eging????

2 posters

Go down

When to go Eging???? Empty When to go Eging????

Post  pamtayls Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 am

Hi All,

what factors determine a good squidding time? The comps are when they are for some reason?
So if I wanted to go out at a time that wasn't a comp night what do I need to look for in as far as tides, times and so forth

Cheers
pamtayls
pamtayls

Back to top Go down

When to go Eging???? Empty Re: When to go Eging????

Post  Robbie Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 am

OK good question Taylor.

Firstly the comps are based purely on high tides that are big (2m plus) and fall on a weekend night.

Now if you want to go squidding here's what I go for:

Some spots you can only fish at high tide simply because there is no water at low or lower tides. Manly is one of these spots.

I have an idea that has been confirmed a couple of times that areas like harbors and canals are better at low tide. My thoughts are that there is less (but at least a foot) water and as you can see the bottom its easier to spot squid.

Tides

The two hours either side of high or low tide is the best time according to some of the yamashita presentations and brochures. But I find an outgoing tide much better as the water is clearer so either after high tide or before low tide.

Moons

Right I usually don't mind moon phase too much but I do find that during a new moon the squid will spook to light more easily and in full moons they tend to not care about the torch to much. There is always exceptions tho.

Wind

When a wind is blowing towards the shore the water will be dirty. This is why we held the comp at Vicky Point last Saturday and the water was clearer than Manly would have been.

Ok I think thats all from me. Make any sense? I should note that my general rule is I go squidding when ever I can and dont care too much about the above sometimes.
Robbie
Robbie
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum