Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emeraldas ST 84 Egi BC Rod

5 posters

Go down

Emeraldas ST 84 Egi BC Rod Empty Emeraldas ST 84 Egi BC Rod

Post  ShaneD Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Thought I would write up a quick review on my new Egi longcast weapon Twisted Evil It's only had the one trip and didn't get inked but wow what a fun rod to use. The rod is 2pce, 8'4 long, rated from 2.5 to 3.5 Egi's, and only weighs 110 grams. It has an EVA split grip and a long handle which I find just great as it tucks up under your forearm when you are working the Egi, and I'm sure will give me plenty of leverage when landing a huge squid or a monster flatty while walking the banks Smile The blank is moderately fast and very progressive once loaded. I have matched this rod to my Daiwa Zillion Hyper Longcast reel, and wow what a perfect match, ultra light rod and ultra light reel!

Andy joined me yesterday arvo for a quick flick at Manly with his Emeraldas Interline rod and we had a bit of a cast off to see how it performed. My HLC is loaded with 25lb Castaway which is still pretty thin and I then tied on a 10lb leader. We both threw 3.0 Egi's into the wind first and with Andy's interline rod they were pretty much in line with each other after several long casts. Then we went down to a 2.5 to see how they went, again a very long way and the Ema BC rod was right up there with Andy's spin outfit. I then went down to a 2.0 to see how it managed, and still no problems with casting or feeling everything the Egi did in the water.
The only problem I noticed was when it got dark it was difficult to see where my Egi was landing, thus making it hard to get my thumb on the spool to stop the dreaded birdsnest. This is the norm for night time Baitcast fishing and you eventually get used to it. I could have played with the Mag control but that would have taken away from the distance I was trying to achieve so I just played it by ear - Splash! This problem may make this rod more suited to early mornings and daytime squidding.

Not everyone will like this rod/setup as a lot of people aren't confident with Baitcast gear, but for me I love BC gear and will pick it up in most cases before spin. I didn't take any pics of the rod and reel as my camera is pretty average and it wouldn't have done it any justice. I'm hoping to catch up with a few BEC members in the near future for a session and will be sure to bring the Ema BC along for a throw.

I'm so happy with this rod after only one session I've already spoken to the powers that be about getting the 7'3 lighter version for some other applications! Twisted Evil

If you want to know more about the range of Emeraldas Interline or BC rods give FishHead a call or better still get in there and pick one up in your hand.

Cheers
Shane

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Emeraldas ST 84 Egi BC Rod Empty Re: Emeraldas ST 84 Egi BC Rod

Post  andy Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I have to agree - im no BC nutter but the rod felt very nice. And even with my dodgy bc skills managed to get it out ok on the one or 2 cast i had.

Cheers

Andy
andy
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tristan Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:30 am

Nice one shane! and another upside is the reel is allready double handle equiped Laughing
Tristan
Tristan

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm

Yeah Tristan, thats a very good point.

SD Smile

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 pm

You beat me to that one Shane. I was looking at it more as a Jackall caster for Bass though.
Dale
Dale

http://www.baialodge.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Yep I'll be doing the same thing come springtime Dale. Wouldn't mind a topwater Barra on it either Laughing

Shane

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  stotty Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 am

Hey Shane,

Once you use this setup more and get the hang of using a baitcaster you should have no problems at all when casting at night.

You shouldnt have to listen out to the splashes of your lure, you should be able to tell when the lure is about to touch the water by listening to the spool speed, doesnt really make sence on the net but you just have to get out and give it a go. If you remember I used my bc combo at the egi night at woody point a few mths back in the dark and had zero problems.

Cheers stotty
stotty
stotty

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am

Hahahaha, thanks for the tips Matt, Lol You going to be at Woody Pt Wednesday night?

Shane

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down