Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lookin to buy a new egi rod...

+2
danno...
Bevan
6 posters

Go down

Lookin to buy a new egi rod... Empty Lookin to buy a new egi rod...

Post  Bevan Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:18 pm

hey all,

ive been lookin to buy a new egi rod for the past few weeks and came across the "Daiwa E-Gee Eg83mi Egi Interline"... ive done quite afew searches both on this forum and on the net and cant seem to find a useful source... does anyone have any experience or heard anything from others in regards to "feel" or performance of this particular rod? any comments would b muchly appreciated...

just FYI, i am currently after an egi rod that is abit more "whippy" and my budget is roughly $250.... i do also like the idea of not having guides...

thanx in advance...

bev
Bevan
Bevan

Back to top Go down

Lookin to buy a new egi rod... Empty Re: Lookin to buy a new egi rod...

Post  danno... Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 pm

Hey mate. I my self aren't a fan of the interline rods as there is more chance of tangles and losing a jig. Your knots have to be spot on and small. You could look into the guided one which if i was to buy one i would get it in that model.

For 250 you can pick up some nice squidding rods, such as the Berkley egi master, the Okuma egi rod, the Au sephia (shimano by ian miller) and i got a Egi Force Type C for under that much but i didnt pay for shipping or anything like that. Most tackle stores these days have a range of egi rods so go in and have a look. Good luck on your search i hope i help with a few more suggestions.

cheers danno
danno...
danno...

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey Bevan, hows things mate ?

You could pick up a Daiwa emeraldas infeet for around $220, or if you could stretch the budget you can get an emeraldas st for around $300-$320, both these rods come in an interline and guided model. I would steer away from rods like the daiwa e-gee, shimano sephia au, berkley egi master, okumas etc.. as they are quite dead and heavy in the hand, they are fine for entry level but before you know it you will be looking for something nicer .

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:50 am

danno... wrote: the interline rods as there is more chance of tangles and losing a jig. Your knots have to be spot on and small. cheers danno

i beg to differ. I own an emeraldas interline st 81m and its great and i know a few other people that own them too. i have never had any tangles and only lost jigs due to snags. im not sure if your refering to the old interlines as i have heard bad reports about them, but the new design is pretty good. and yes you do need to have nice small and neat knots (slim beauty, FG knot works well) and NEVER EVER leave home without the threadding wire.

bevan ive never owned or used the egee interline, but i have felt it and after owning several different brands of mid - lower high end eging rods my opinion is that its quite heavy. it is aimed at the entry level so it might do you well. as alan suggested have a look at the emeraldas inf 832m. ive had a look at them and for about $200 its a pretty sweet rod for entry level. at the end of the day your decision mate. just go in to a shop and have a look and play around with them.

if your in no rush have a look at ordering from OS. Majorcraft have a nice entry level rod called the solpara and the next step up is the Zaltz. ive felt both and they arnt too bad. IMO better then the berkley and AU sephia. Plat have them both for sale for reasonable prices. for both of the majorcraft rods id be going the E or EL models in which ever length you prefer (for me its at least 8ft3, average 8ft6)

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/24_1439_1802/egiing-squid-fishing/squid-game-rod/major-craft-solpara-egi.html

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/24_1439_1309/egiing-squid-fishing/squid-game-rod/major-craft-zaltz.html
andy
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:27 am

i also love the interline its pretty awesome, never had a tangle and im not the most co-ordinated person around but my knots seem to do alright never had a problem any problem ive had is between me and the squid not acting like its supposed to and getting hopelessly caught with the egi, but feel and flexibility is awesome
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  GRAHAME Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Bevan wrote:hey all,

ive been lookin to buy a new egi rod for the past few weeks and came across the "Daiwa E-Gee Eg83mi Egi Interline"...

FYI, i am currently after an egi rod that is abit more "whippy" and my budget is roughly $250.... i do also like the idea of not having guides...

thanx in advance...

bev

i have one of the Daiwa E-Gee 83mi Interline
i find it good for size 3 jigs and up, not too good for the 2 & 2.5
definately would not call it "whippy"
never any issues with tangles or bust offs

G
GRAHAME
GRAHAME

Back to top Go down

Post  Bevan Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:33 am

ahh.... i would juz like to start off by thanking you guyz for the handy advice and recommendations...

i had a chance to duck into tackle warehouse this morning after a quick egi session, to check out the Daiwa emeraldas infeet as well as the emeraldas st, as andy and alan suggested... i guess being the novice that i am, they both seemed rather stiff and rigid and by no means "whippy"??? is that how they are meant to feel or am i totally off the mark? haha.... i would like to point out however, that they are both very nice quality and also rather lightweight...

graham, u hit the nail on the head, thanks heaps for that, i guess that rod (E-Gee) is out of the question....
Bevan
Bevan

Back to top Go down

Post  GRAHAME Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 am

the quality of the rod is good, and i have caught plenty of squid with it, but it is more suited to the heaver jigs
i now use a calamaretti for the lighter jigs and it is way better for them (more $$$ as well)

head along to the comp tonight if you can make it. there will be lots of different setups there you can have a look at, and you can talk to the guys who are actually using them and see what is good for the $'s

G
GRAHAME
GRAHAME

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 am

Hi Bevan,

not saying this because I have one for sale, but if you are after a "whippy" rod the Yamashita Naory fits the bill. I also own an Egi force type b and it is quite quite similar to the Yama but has a slightly stiffer feel due to higher carbon content. You will find most egi rods will have a stiff feel about them but they will fold away nicely and absorb those lunges when hooked up to a squid, they should all cast a mile too. Look for the models rated from size 2.0-3.5 egi, they will usually have M or ML as part of the model code/number eg.. Yamashita Naory LT802ML . The M or ML refers to the power of the rod, M= medium, ML = medium light. 8-8'6" would be my preferred length.
If you can make it down to Vici Pt tonight there will be a few of us there with different rods that you can check out and have a play with, might give you a better idea of what you are after.
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum