Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which egi rod do you use?

+9
ShaneD
Alex Corvin
Partizan Fk
Dan K
Paul
bill
andy
Alan
danno...
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which egi rod do you use? Empty Which egi rod do you use?

Post  danno... Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 am

Hey all.
Just wondering home many people have got egi rods on here.

At them moment i have a Egi Force Type C matched with a E-GEE 2506 with 8lb Sunline Super PE. I rate this combo highly, it's good for squid of all sizes and balances nicely. Another thing that i love about this combo is it casts a jig far even the 2.2s i use and it doesnt cost that much. One day i'd love to upgrade to a Breaden rod for my bigger jigs and a Yamshita Naory for my light squidding but i better start saving.

Which type did you guys end up getting and what braid did you put on it?

Cheers Danno

danno...
danno...

Back to top Go down

Which egi rod do you use? Empty Re: Which egi rod do you use?

Post  Alan Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Danno,

I currently use an Egi Force type B and a Calamaretti Prototype Tipo-L . Both rods are great to use, super light in the hand and cast a mile, great for egi's from 1.8-3.5 . Reels I use are Daiwa 2004 Steez spooled with Sunline super PE 0.8 and Daiwa 2506 Emeraldas spooled with Toray super eging PE 0.8 (very nice line)
Had a Yamashita Naory and it was a top little rod too, just sold it recently to offset the cost of the Calamaretti.

Cheers,
Al

Last edited by Alan on Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 am

Currently I have 2 rods Emeraldas ST86m (k guide) and ST81M (interline) both are great rods. In the past i have used Majorcraft tripple cross, Majorcraft Raycal, Graphiteleader Calamaretti Nuovo 86m and Shimano Sephia CI486MH...

As for braid, Ive been using Varivas Eging PE 0.8 Suspend. I have also ran Daiwa Saltiga Surf 15lb and Sunline Super PE 0.8, Sunline EGI HG 0.6.. I would have to rate the Varivas as the best so far. Will be replacing the Varivas shortly with either Gosen Pepet (from Fish On Pro), Unitika or Berkley Egi Master (just so i can do a review and let any new comers know what its like as its a bang for buck product)
andy
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bill Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 am

That is some serious gear you guys are using. Makes my $70 Sienna Reel and Sahara rod combo look cheap. Laughing

In all seriousness but the Sienna is one of my all time favourite reels. Using it out of the yak week in and out constantly getting dunked, it is still smooth as a babies bum drag and reel wise. It also has plenty down low for the big Wello Pt snaps and squid.

I have also been using some Code Red Spiderwire braid and would highly recomend it for a low budget braid. You get what you pay for, but it is the best of the cheap stuff I have used.

Bill.

On a side note when will this bloody rain (unacceptable language) off, everytime it looks to be clearing up for some egi action, the sky opens up again and dirties it back up again. Mad
bill
bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm

how the hell do you spell egi rod??????
my first squid rod is made from junk out of my garage matched up with a p.o.s of a reel that I think I payed $35 for some years back and guess what????...........it has caught more squid than you can poke a stick at.
just a couple of weeks ago Alan gave me a rod he had collecting dust .... one of his first custom jobs he did I think?? scratch it has a very slight bend in the tip from heatstroke and it now makes a nice squid rod too matched with the same p.o.s reel and it too is racking up it's own tally of squid too.
so it just go's to show yu dont need top of the range gear...but it would be nice to afford some..to catch squid.
the mug....aka....Paul
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan K Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree with you on that one mug. My 2-4kg graphite bream/flattie/jew plastic stick does me quite well, and I too have been catching a few on that. I am a bit of a tckle slut as well, and simply have to have the best of everything, but cannot afford to have the best of everything for all applications. I have spent a fortune on heavy LBG and beach gear, which I still do a lot of, but sometimes you just have to make the most of what you have at hand. You can still catch plenty with the right technique for what you are chasing...It just takes a little thought about the application.......

Dan K

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Andy what was the Sephia Rod like????
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 am

Partizan Fk wrote:Andy what was the Sephia Rod like????

ned the sephia rod i had was overkill for australian conditions it was rated at MH so for egi 3.0-4.5.. it was still a very very nice rod and very very light. if you are considering it then the ML or M would be best for here.

keep in mind this isnt the Sephia AU that is available locally. The one i had is the JDM spec rod. AND there is a few different types --

Sephia BB -- entry level (feels ok better then the Sephia AU)
Sephia CI4 -- Mid to higher
Sephia -- Old versions - there is a red blank one and newer updated one but he handle feels really uncomfortable to hold (my opinion)
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Tue May 24, 2011 9:08 am

Ive been looking at the 803L model.Does 2.0-3.0 i think.The biggest jig i use is 2.5 I heard you snapped yours is that from the rod or misuse
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 am

Partizan Fk wrote:Ive been looking at the 803L model.Does 2.0-3.0 i think.The biggest jig i use is 2.5 I heard you snapped yours is that from the rod or misuse

user error ned. the 803l will be nice.
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm

On the Shimano website the S803L has titanium k guides my Japanese is poor mate.
What reel did you match it up with.??Everyone has been saying over priced for what you get i dont know my broken down budget is a shimano and i have to say ive put it through hell and its still a weapon only the squid dont know this yet hehe
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 pm

ned ive had a few diff reels on it. ive used daiwa egee, shimano sephia ci4 c300sdh and ive had the emma on it and all were nicely matched.

the k guide version should be the same blank from what ive read just updated with K guides. Honestly i cant tell any difference between Ti low riders and K guides. they are both very light so unless you have super sensitive hands you wont notice the difference.

where are you thinking of purchasing it from??? Plat?? JPF?? Bass Jp??? going off plat and the shimano website for that price range you have a lot to choose from. Shane's calamaretti (remember next week if its still available its mine), majorcraft, daiwa, megabass.. just have a think about it before you make the decision.. if your not in a rush wait till a few of us are together and have a look at the different rods we all have.

my only suggestions are

: decide what your budget is. factor in shipping if your buying online/os
: decide what length you want
: decide on what size jigs you will most likely be using so you can choose between L, ML, M (general consensus is that all brands are roughly the same in the rating (at least in my experience))

http://www.japanprofishing.com/eging-squid/eging-rod/megabass-caiyen-xx-cxx-83l.html

andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Mate youve helped me heaps its good to have a second opinion.Ill have to check out all the sites.And find the updated Sephia.
Thanks alot for your help.
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Corvin Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm

andy wrote:Currently I have 2 rods Emeraldas ST86m (k guide) and ST81M (interline) both are great rods. In the past i have used Majorcraft tripple cross, Majorcraft Raycal, Graphiteleader Calamaretti Nuovo 86m and Shimano Sephia CI486MH...

As for braid, Ive been using Varivas Eging PE 0.8 Suspend. I have also ran Daiwa Saltiga Surf 15lb and Sunline Super PE 0.8, Sunline EGI HG 0.6.. I would have to rate the Varivas as the best so far. Will be replacing the Varivas shortly with either Gosen Pepet (from Fish On Pro), Unitika or Berkley Egi Master (just so i can do a review and let any new comers know what its like as its a bang for buck product)

Hi Andy,

Regarding the Emer ST81M interline would you think it is too short to use around Brisbane?

I love interline so I am thinking of getting one, but lenght would be the only concern.

There are longer models in Japan, I have looked around online but would cost quite more compare with buying the Aus model locally.

The rod will be matched with a steez 2508, so I think the balance would be good for the 81 model. For longer model I am not sure. Cheers.

Alex Corvin

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Fri May 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey Alex

no the 81 isnt too bad, although my own personal preference is at least 83. The st81 is actually pretty good for around se qld. it has enough power to haul in 1kg ones. If you look in the report i made about my trip to hk the proof is all there. The average squid we were getting there would have been 800grm+.

I know they have dropped down in price since i purchased mine. I only got it as an impulse buy and i dont regret it. I have used the 85MI version and honestly something about it didnt feel right to me.

Have a look at the emeraldas inf versions, you'd be quiet suprised. I picked up the guided version and was very impressed for the price TWH had it for (200aud) so im assuming that the interline would be pretty much the same feel and price, and its also 83 length. but if money isnt an issue then deff get the normal interline.

Les also has the 81MI, maybe he can share his experience with it as well.

cheers

andy
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Corvin Fri May 27, 2011 4:28 pm

andy wrote:Hey Alex

no the 81 isnt too bad, although my own personal preference is at least 83. The st81 is actually pretty good for around se qld. it has enough power to haul in 1kg ones. If you look in the report i made about my trip to hk the proof is all there. The average squid we were getting there would have been 800grm+.

I know they have dropped down in price since i purchased mine. I only got it as an impulse buy and i dont regret it. I have used the 85MI version and honestly something about it didnt feel right to me.

Have a look at the emeraldas inf versions, you'd be quiet suprised. I picked up the guided version and was very impressed for the price TWH had it for (200aud) so im assuming that the interline would be pretty much the same feel and price, and its also 83 length. but if money isnt an issue then deff get the normal interline.

Les also has the 81MI, maybe he can share his experience with it as well.

cheers

andy

Have to agree that the Emer Inf guided 83ML is quite good for the price. I have felt it the other day in a store and it was nice. Good for eging and maybe also as a longer rod flicking lures around.

But for interline, I think that may not be that good (thought I hven't actually seen it). Lower end interline rods are usually quite tip heavy due to the blank material such as the Egee. Without guides a rod would be lighter, but the blank is thicker which is again heavier. So the blank material plays an more important role in interline.

I personally think interline rods are good only when using at least HVF, or better the SVF. I own a TMZ-i which features SVF and I love it. Thanks for letting me know that the ST85M interline doesn't feel right to you. This saves me from considering going longer. Laughing I reckon that may be the upper lenght limit for an interline rod feels alright with HVF blank. Maybe that's why Daiwa Aus only introduce the 81M model in here. There are longer interline using SVF in Japanese model, I know ppl who own these and they love them. Very Happy

Alex Corvin

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Fri May 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Agree with the lower end interlines. I haven't seen of played with the inf version. Only saw the guided model. But then again I am a bit of a tackle snob Haha.
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 am

Alex,
IMO 8'3 is way long enough for Eging in SE Qld. My Calamaretti is 8'3 and is fantastic to pole large squid in with, the tip is also very sensitive and casts all the Egi's we frequently use. In saying that I'm currently Eging with my Emeraldas Saltist baitcast Egi rod which is only 7'3. This rod is fairly soft all the way through the blank but is heaps of fun to Egi/fish with.
I have it paired with an Alphas TypeR low profile reel, 20lb Toray Radius line and 8lb leader and it casts Egi's up to 2.5 a country mile. The only down fall of this softer rod is I can't pole large squid as I did with the Calamaretti, but in that case just use a squid gaff. IMO for shore based stuff that we do you really don't need to cast the Egi any further than a normal 7ft rod will. The benefit of a 8ft plus rod is when landing squid and being able to guide them around and over rocks/weed etc.

Cheers
Shane

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Corvin Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 am

All good, thanks Shane. I love using baitcaster too, but have had some issue for me at night while I cant see when the Egi lands on water. Need more practice. Laughing

I am now just using my bream rod for Eging. But I like to have a proper Eging rod for its longer lenght when I am standing high or from rocks, and also the stiffer tip. The current bream rod is rated 1/16-1/4oz so I only use 1.8 - 2.0 Egi on it. I am afraid of going too heavy that may snap the tip.

Btw do you guys put a glow stick on the leader in front of the egi when night eging? I saw people doing this in some Japanese websites. Some claimed it can attract squids but I think the more important is you can see where the egi is. Good for using baitcaster at night. Very Happy

Cheers.

Alex Corvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Interline all the way, fish the same at night as i do during the day (badly), never used a glow light leader, head gear at night, spotters for the day, if you cast around enough you should be able to tell where it lands from the sound, and can judge relatively the reel in
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron Sun May 29, 2011 6:27 am

Whats the difference between an emeraldas Infeet, and Emeraldas...besides the price?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Corvin Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Aaron wrote:Whats the difference between an emeraldas Infeet, and Emeraldas...besides the price?

The most significant thing you would notice is their blanks are different. Emeraldas ST has HVF while Emer inf doesnt. If you hold them both together and compare rod by rod, you would find the Emer ST with HVF blank is built to have better balance (without reel the balance point is closer to the grip).

Other components I think they would be similar or actually different but you wont notice much. For guide model, both of them are already using Fuji SiC K guides, which is quite good for the Emer inf for its price, considering other $200ish rods here in Aussie may only give you alconite guides.

Again, the K guides on the Emer ST are titainium frame which it better, while the Emer inf's are not.

Alex Corvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aaron Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Alex Corvin wrote:
Aaron wrote:Whats the difference between an emeraldas Infeet, and Emeraldas...besides the price?

The most significant thing you would notice is their blanks are different. Emeraldas ST has HVF while Emer inf doesnt. If you hold them both together and compare rod by rod, you would find the Emer ST with HVF blank is built to have better balance (without reel the balance point is closer to the grip).

Other components I think they would be similar or actually different but you wont notice much. For guide model, both of them are already using Fuji SiC K guides, which is quite good for the Emer inf for its price, considering other $200ish rods here in Aussie may only give you alconite guides.

Again, the K guides on the Emer ST are titainium frame which it better, while the Emer inf's are not.

Thanks Alex for this info. bein a dumbass, i must ask what is HVF?? Ive seen people usin a lot of abbreviations like this for rods, but im unsure what they stand for.

Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  ShaneD Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Aaron,
HVF is Daiwa's abbreviation for High Volume Fibre, & SVF is Super Volume Fibre. It's the different processes they use when bonding their graphite when making the blanks.

Shane

ShaneD

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudskipper Mon May 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Go the 10 foot castnet with a good set of LEDs leading the way LOL. Not that i know how to max a castnet and squid anyways.

I'm not convinced that the rod and reel combo amounts to much. Surely it the jig and how the owner works it that matters. Then we have the "spotters" who can see the squid and target em. I'm really bad at spotting em day or night LOL
Mudskipper
Mudskipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum