Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly fishing for Squid.

+7
Kyle
Paul
Alan
kaspar1501
Cactuar
Partizan Fk
bobthornton
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fly fishing for Squid. Empty Fly fishing for Squid.

Post  bobthornton Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:29 am

Hi all,
I read an article recently about fly fishing for Squid down south, but surely this must work for Tigers aswell. I love fishing fly for other species like bass and flathead, but always had this idea of squid in the back of my mind. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you tie your flies? Any help would be great.
Bob.
bobthornton
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Fly fishing for Squid. Empty Re: Fly fishing for Squid.

Post  Partizan Fk Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 am

Sounds interesting.I think it would have to have some flash to mimic a small bait fish.Id love to hear how you go dude.We have afew guys who fly.Codrea and Russel.
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 am

Funny this should come up you can buy squid flies they have a glow bead and 2 sets of barbs, saw some going through rakuten looked heavy, also seen the strung up like a sabiki rig they'd work, dunno if you wanted a floating one but
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthornton Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:29 am

I was thinking of using a floating line? Probably all you need in shallow water, or does this spook them?
Bob.
bobthornton
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 am

bob you can make your own, i could help you with them because i have a few egi prongs that have a stainless steal wire throught them instead of a small fibre glass rod so it would be easy to make an eyelet and then you can tie your material and eyes around the eyelet. i think the fly would work really well on arrows and possibly sight casting for tigers but you would want to make the material fairly thick around the prongs to hide the prongs. if you really want to get inventive for night time eging you could ad some form of glow material to the fly even possibly paint the eyes with glow paint or do what lez said use glow beads. give me a call and i can give you the prons at school. Lez those squid flies you are talking about sound interesting could you post some pics of them so i can give bob a few designs to give him a few ideas?
kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:36 pm

kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Kaspar why would you hide the hooks for jigs don't have any hooks hidden and they catch squid doesn't make sense
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:20 pm

these are like the flies i saw couldnt find em again on rakuten http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Made-U-S-SQUID-CATCHER-RIGS-LURE-Double-Hooks-/160583491106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563859e22 (and yes i kno its a sabiki rig just a guide to what they looked like, still i think heavy, would almost impede the lines action
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 am

Why would you bother ? We have perfectly good egi's to do the job - bloody fly fishermen always trying to sneak in with the humans Laughing .
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthornton Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 am

Thanks guys this is all really helpful. I'll give it a go in the near future and let you know how it goes (and if I can outfish Kaspar on the fly)
Cheers,
Bob.
bobthornton
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 am

ned the reason for covering the prongs is to reduced the snag rate and give the fly more body to make it a bigger target for the squid but with extra body you need lenght so the eventual body will look like a pilcard or something like one. when the squid strikes the fly the fly material should compress and the barbs should be exposed so you are able to hook the squid. hope the info clarafies the situation. Laughing
kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm

BS mate im with Alan we have gr8 egis .And as i said we don't hide jack.I think its BS but hey each to their own.Good luck mate
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:27 pm

bob uses egi's but he wants to try a different method that may work well for him or he may enjoy. i'm no hiding anything, the prongs will be expossed but most of prong will be consealed to prevent deturing the squid. Also a fly rod would be great for squid because it has a very nice taper and the rod is very similar to an egi rod but with out alot of stick in the butt section so the rod will adsorb the lunnges of the squid without terring the tenticals.
kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:18 am

Partizan Fk wrote:BS mate im with Alan we have gr8 egis .And as i said we don't hide jack.I think its BS but hey each to their own.Good luck mate
I'm with you guys on that one....I've been thinking of building an egi rod using a fly blank for a long time but just haven't got around to it....
so stop dreaming and tugging your pinkie and get out there more....all you need is the basics...rod , reel , line and a few good jigs and your on your way....all the flash do-fangled crap will catch a squid or two but wont improve your numbers....the tool on the end of the rod does that. Very Happy
mug
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm

bit harsh there, the boys looking for info, like they said in the other thread about the cast netters each their own and its a bit more preferrable to that, some people like to use what they make instead of buying makes it a bit more satisfying for them at worst its bragging rights.
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthornton Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:00 am

I just wanna try catching squid on my fly rod... Because I like fly fishing.
I love catching them on jigs, but I just thought I'd challenge myself a little, that's all.
Bob.
bobthornton
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 am

bob
just keep working on a shrimp pattern and you'll crack it sooner or later....maybe work off a 1.5 size jig to start off with.....it has to work as you can catch just about everything ekse on fly so why not squid.
mug
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:33 am

his flies sank quite quickly so i would suggest foam on the body
kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 am

I wouldn't use foam....they'd never sink...just lighten the materials up a bit...you still want it to sink.
mug
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 am

just proportion it foam to equal boyancy then a lil lead tape to give it the sink you want
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspar1501 Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 am

he will need a bit of foam the hooks are quite heavy and the eyes, just a bit of foam would work well
kaspar1501
kaspar1501

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

I've caught a few squid on fly over the years mostly by-catch, but i did experiment with targeting them as well. The best pattern i found for getting them interested was a "pink thing" tied with lots of flash and small bead chain eyes it has a nice slow sink rate and a great pulsing action when stripped i never had any egi prongs tied into them so the hook up rate wasn't great but still got a couple of tigers on the single hook.

Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthornton Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks heaps Kyle you're a diamond, this is the most helpful out of the lot. I know the Pink Thing pattern and I have some prongs here at home. Now I have something to work with.
Cheers,
Bob.
bobthornton
bobthornton

Back to top Go down

Fly fishing for Squid. Empty squid on fly

Post  CliffM-F Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:55 am

Hi Bob
I have just joined up and you post caught my eye.
Although I have not yet arrived in Brisbane (heading over in a few weeks), I am also interested in the 'squid on fly' idea. I will be bringing some fly tying gear and tackle with me.
Although I haven't gone as far as making a squid fly, I have bought a packet of extra long pins and bent them into a suitable shape with the intention to solder/glue them together to form the basic frame for the fly - however I am still at that stage.
Please give any updates as to your progress!
Cheers
Cliff

CliffM-F

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next