Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my style of cooking squid

2 posters

Go down

my style of cooking squid Empty my style of cooking squid

Post  andy Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:07 pm

whenever i keep a feed of squid and cook it myself i do a kinda chilli/garlic/salt & pepper squid
Sorry no pics as i havent cooked squid for a while and the last time i did was cooked in a hotpot..

ingredients
:squid (of course)
:salt - about a 1/2-1 teaspoon depending on how much squid you have
:fresh cracked black pepper (add as much or as little as you like)
:cloves of garlic (add as much or as little as you like)
:fresh chilli - optional
:chilli powder
:cornflour
:olive/veg/canola etc oil

directions
:once the squid i cleaned cut it into reasonable bite size pieces - i tend to score the all the meat with a diamond pattern so that when it cooks it curls up nicely.
:in a suitable bowl/dish lightly dust the squid pieces in the cornflour
:add in the rest of the ingredients, all according to your own liking - zonly a little bit of oil to cover all the squid.
:i prefer to use fresh chilli diced very very finely for texture, then add a little bit more chilli powder for more bite
:cover the dish with cling wrap and put it in the fridge to marinate - i prefer a min on 30mins, but if time is an issue it can be cooked straight away.
:after about 30mins in a very hot pan add either a small drizzle of oil or butter and fry up the squid.
:only takes a couple of mins to cool up and when its done place on a plate, garnish with some parsley and its ready to eat.
andy
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

my style of cooking squid Empty Re: my style of cooking squid

Post  Kraken Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 am

Here is something similar.

500g fresh calamari
2 tbsp self raising flour
1 tbsp oil
Cornflour
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
4 green shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
2 tsp Shaoxing wine
Five Spice mix
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp celery powder
1 tbsp chicken stock powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp five spice powder

Preparation
Clean calamari by pulling the tentacles from the body. Wash out the tube and remove the clear 'backbone'. Remove the skin, if desired. Cut tentacles from the head and discard heads. Cut tubes into triangles, this helps them to curl during cooking.

In a bowl, mix self raising flour, oil and a little water to make a paste. Place calamari pieces and tentacles into the bowl and coat well. Then sprinkle each piece with enough cornflour until the pieces are dry.

Combine all ingredients for five spice mix and set aside.

Heat enough vegetable oil for deep frying in a wok. Add calamari, in batches and cook until golden and crisp. Remove with a wire basket or slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining calamari. Drain off oil.

Add shallots, garlic and chilli to wok. Cook for 30 seconds until aromatic. Return squid to wok and add 2 to 3 tsp of the five spice mix. Toss well to combine. Add Shaoxing wine, toss and serve immediately.

Kraken

Back to top Go down