Brisbane Egi Club inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunline Egi PE 0.6

5 posters

Go down

Sunline Egi PE 0.6 Empty Sunline Egi PE 0.6

Post  andy Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Ok so I've had this line spooled on my emeraldas for a few weeks now and at the beginning it was ok (bit thin for my liking). Last night as I was rigging up for this mornings early session with Shane I had several breakages past the knot (I mean about 2-3inches from where the knot was). I was tying a slim beauty and normally these knots have been ok with the thin lines i use.

Also this morning when I was casting i had one snag which also snapped way past the knot and also had one medium size squid take the jig only for my line to snap. I checked the line for any abrasions and there was none.

I dont know what it is as all my gear is cleaned after each use, maybe its like the Castaway where some spools are more prone to breakages then other. All i know is im not gonna be buying this one again. Maybe the heavier ones are ok but I wouldn't recommend Sunline Egi PE 0.6.

Cheers

Andy
andy
andy

http://brisbaneegiclub.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Sunline Egi PE 0.6 Empty Re: Sunline Egi PE 0.6

Post  andy Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 am

Just a up date on this line. I have re-spooled it onto a 2004 reel and had it with me in hong kong. It has held up against rat kingies (40cm-60cm) and a very nice sized cod. During that time i had one breakage whilst tying a leader knot. Still not 100% sold on this line though.
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am

Hi Andy,

Like I said to you the other night, I find the 0.6 PE doesn't hold up to the style of retrieve we use for eging, the constant jerking against what are reasonably heavy lures wears through the knot after so many casts, I believe it weakens the line in places as well which may explain your cast offs and breakages after hook up. You can combat this by tying a good double in your main line that is to be connected to your leader, or you can retie your leader knot regularly. I used to used 0.6 PE but now for reasons mentioned prefer to use a minimum of 0.8 PE and have found the extra thickness/strength to be just enough to minimize the problem, and if you go up to 1.0 PE you shouldn't have a problem at all.
I know that you generally use a more aggressive jerk than I do and your casting action is more aggressive than mine also and you usually prefer to use larger egi's than I do so heavier line may suit your style better.

Cheers,
Al
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am

Hey Alan, yeah my knots (most of the time) are decent, i stick with the slim beauty, now now have a new toy that kinda does the fg knot i think. as for the pe0.6 from what i heard a lot of people in hk have now downsized to it. i guess its how in the breaming circles people started off with a thicker line then downsizing for a more finesse approach.

I dont think the breakages in the spool i had were due to your explaination, (weakening due to the actions of working a jig) as it was breaking straight out of the box. I think i just got a dud one. but i do believe that the way we work the egis will impact on the strength of the line sooner or later wheather it be in knot strength or overall.
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 am

Ah, I get ya, yes sounds like a dud spool for sure, I've had one or two of those over the years.

I have had plenty of knots wear through in the time that I used 0.6 while both eging and SP fishing, I would say that at least half of the breakages were from laziness though eg.. not being bothered to retie my leader after a heavy session, also I prefer not to use doubles most of the time so the knot will wear quicker.

I am using sunline super PE 0.8 atm and haven't really noticed any difference in casting ability but the extra strength comes in handy for pulling egi's off snags etc.. something you can't really do with the 0.6 .

Cheers,
Al
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 am

yeah i think 0.8 is a good balance between dia/strength. although might try 0.6 in a different brand, maybe unitika or varivas. i like the varivas as im currently using the suspend pe 0.8 on my emma, and have heard good reports on the unitika.
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 pm

just come across this andy and much water has passed what is your regular choice line now ? cheers
Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  Cactuar Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 pm

dave if your looking for line id recommend 2 brands, they cast well and i have not heard any problems about, 'toray super eging PE' and the one im super keen on 'Varivas avani eging milky longcast PE'
Cactuar
Cactuar

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Really depends on your budget. Personally I wouldn't use any fused stuff for eging . As for the toray heard mixed reviews, havent tried it but did buy it and has it spoiled on the caldia Ned bought, felt pretty good. Fingers crossed its a good batch ( is brand new never been used Ned) I've used a few of the varivas, sunline, gosen, nitlon and daiwa braids. Currently got varivas milky pe 0.8 ob the Emma and ygk jigman on the colossal (can't remember what pe but its thin).

As for favourites don't have one. But varivas haa been pretty good. Still got a spool of unitika and daiwa si that I wanna try. And also trying to get my hands on daiwa emeraldas 6 strand in pe 0.6 to try. As for recommendations, sunline super pe would have to be best bang for buck
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Andy The Toray is sport on mate but the Milky is just as good if not better mate.It came off the spool as if it was air.
The Toray no wind knots in direct wind.You saw my Exceed Berkley what a mess mate.The Toray is Pe 1.0 i think casts little hard bodies for bream a mile mate.
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:56 am

Partizan Fk wrote:Andy The Toray is sport on mate but the Milky is just as good if not better mate.It came off the spool as if it was air.
The Toray no wind knots in direct wind.You saw my Exceed Berkley what a mess mate.The Toray is Pe 1.0 i think casts little hard bodies for bream a mile mate.

Ned the line on the caldia is pe 0.6 at most 0.8. I don't use anything higher then that for eging. Actually tbh can't really remember which on it is. Haha
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Codrea wrote:dave if your looking for line id recommend 2 brands, they cast well and i have not heard any problems about, 'toray super eging PE' and the one im super keen on 'Varivas avani eging milky longcast PE'

and Andy
"As for favourites don't have one. But varivas have been pretty good."

thanks guys, sound like a good vertic!!
maybe the sunline in a 0.8 is a good start for me untill a good reel at a great price comes along

Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Dave, the sunline super PE (green) in 0.8 is good stuff the 0.6 can be a bit temperamental.

Cheers,
Al
Alan
Alan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm

beauty alan
a question i've often thought about is colour vs visual spectrum I use vanish leader does it matter?
Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Dave H wrote:beauty alan
a question i've often thought about is colour vs visual spectrum I use vanish leader does it matter?

Dave as a general rule I'd recommended using a leader of some sort. Fluro is good for the abrasion resistance. Mono is ok but I find has too much stretch for my liking. As for the colour of the braid, I've use dark and bright colours and havebt noticed any difference.

Personal preference I use approx 2/3 length of fluro attached with either slim beauty or a knot that resembles the fg knot ( I actually have a machine that does all the fiddley bits and just some half hitches/nail knot to stop it slipping)

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by andy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

"or a knot that resembles the ft knot ( I actually have a machine that does all the fiddley bits and just some half hitches/nail knot to stop it slipping)"

LMFAO sorry mate that laugh made my day!!! you are the guru lol
Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Dave H wrote:"or a knot that resembles the ft knot ( I actually have a machine that does all the fiddley bits and just some half hitches/nail knot to stop it slipping)"

LMFAO sorry mate that laugh made my day!!! you are the guru lol

Haha, love gadgets and when I saw it couldn't resist. Besides its pretty handy when winds blowing or if your fingers are frozen in the middle of winter
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 am

is this the tool Andy by daiwa

http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=11517
Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  Partizan Fk Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Nice tool but no his is electric.Looks like a nice knot.Where can you get one from??
Partizan Fk
Partizan Fk
President

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Nope that's not the one, pretty cool might look into one of those. I'll take a pic of mine later
andy
andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave H Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Sokkou Knot Tying Tool - availiable from your daiwa agent and yes what a brilliant simple tool
Dave H
Dave H

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum